Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cowriting: Confession and Digression

Confession: I have never co-written a song before... At least not that I can remember. Which, I guess leads me to another confession, that my memory is terrible.

That's why I write everything down. Otherwise, it all just floats away. Maybe it stems from past vices (that's why they call it high school, right?) and constantly trying to lasso the last little drop out of every day, maybe missing the moments altogether.

This weekend, I get to write it all down with a Danish princess! (part of that sentence may not be true) Singer/songwriter/destiny-manifestor Troy Campbell turned his own existing relationships with Danish artists into an incredible opportunity for other Austin artists. The House of Songs is his collaboration with Danish songwriting guilds that brings Danish artists to Austin for a week of co-writing with local musicians.

My first songwriting session is this weekend, on Saturday. I'm excited to see how it goes... Trying not to have expectations, which usually turn out to be wrong, and nervous because I haven't finished a song in what feels like forever... But, in true form, I can't remember when.

Diversion: And why have I not finished a song in so long? There are lots of song pieces floating around in my heart and head, but I have been keeping so conveniently busy with gigs, finishing the new album, keeping up with webstuff and the Joneses, etc... If I am here on earth to write songs, sing them, and seek transcendent musical moments with other people, what the hell else am I really doing?

I have had three overriding concepts appear throughout my life. They're sketched in triangles through years of journals, over 30 books filled with my life in scribbles of various size, color, and direction across the pages. Music - God - Yoga. It also sometimes looks like Music - Prayer - Movement, or Music - Meditation - Dance. The Music never changes. It's my own personal trifecta. Whenever I stray from it, my life begins to fall apart.

Why so afraid to say what must be said?

I can't wait to see what comes flooding out when I am forced to break the dam.

www.thehouseofsongs.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home